Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Smoking

Smoking is a dirty habit, and a deadly one. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind if people smoke, I just don't like it to happen around me. I know a lot of smokers, too, and I don't complain when I go to their homes and they smoke. I made the choice to be there because I enjoy their company. And my friends are generally considerate enough not to smoke around me outside of their home, or in mine.

Anyhow, I digress...

Yesterday I was driving along...actually I was trolling for lunch...and passed by Miami Valley Hospital. Outside the emergency entrance, down along the street, were several nurses and doctors standing around smoking. Now, I don't get this. There is overwhelming proof that smoking is dangerous and yet these healt care professionals are out lighting up. These doctors and nurses are supposed to keep people healthy, yet they themselves smoke like chimneys? I just don't get it. Hypocrites.

A good friend of mine, whom I love dearly, is a smoker. I ask her a lot if she would quit. She complains of breathing problems, and thinks that she had a mild heart attack at one point. She could not go to the doctor because she has no insurance, so she is not for sure. Her response to me when I say she should quit is that the menthol in her cigarettes help her lungs to feel better and she breathes easier.

Excuse me?

That is some bullshit answer. I hate to see her smoke like she does, but there is nothing I can do. I think she realizes that her breathing problems are as a result of smoking for so many years. But, the nicotine addiction is just too much for her. To each their own. My grandfather smoked for most of his life and he died of asphyxiation due to emphysema. My grandmother smoked for most of her life, but she died of cervical cancer, otherwise there was nothing wrong with her. I guess every person responds differently to smoking. Again, to each their own.

Now that I have had cancer and survived, I am making a more conscious effort to limit my exposure to things like secondhand smoke, the nasty diesel dust from the vehicles at work and other possible carcinogens. I have too much to live for.

1 comment:

Shari said...

One of my friends is a smoker and is constantly catching colds and developing bronchitis. He has quit for long periods of time before (years) and started back up again. Nicotime addiction is very complicated because it has a profound affect on the body. The truth is that smoking often does help people keep their weight down both because it speeds metabolism (in an unhealthy way - part of the reason heart disease is a possible risk) and satiates oral fixations. The lure is incredible for people once they're addicted and I have a lot of sympathy for them. However, that doesn't extend to exposing myself to second-hand smoke.

I think one of the reasons you see health care professionals smoking is they know there's a genetic crap-shoot involved. There are people who smoke and develop an illness but others who just end up dying of something else regardless of their having smoked like a chimney.

Given your past health issues, it's good that you do your best to avoid such things. You immune system doesn't need the extra load on it and has been through enough.