Friday, December 7, 2007

Another Travel Blog

I hate to travel, really. I like going by airplane, though. Most people think I'm crazy, and they would be right.

Years ago, a group of friends and I would travel all over the place. It was always a good time. We generally went to Louisville, Kentucky, or Columbus, Ohio for a weekend stay, usually at a Hyatt Regency.

One of our friends, "A", had a boyfriend that was in the Navy. He was due to stop into Charleston, South Carolina for a while and she wanted to visit with him. So, the group decided to take a road trip down to take her to him. They, however, told me that I could not come. There was a valid reason for this.

I am not good on car trips.

I tend to get antsy and nervous, unless I am the driver. Even then, I start getting very irritable. This was brutally evident on a trip we all took to the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Travelling there with my parents was a breeze, no problems. But with the group, oy vay!

They did put a condition on me going with them. They all really wanted me to come, but not with them in the rental car. It would be too crowded, they said, and I get irritable and mad which becomes unpleasant. They said to check and see how much a flight would be, and if I flew down, I could come with them. I initially said no. They really wanted me to go, and I thought flying would be a great idea! So I checked online and found a great fare...only $150 round trip...and booked it. I would be leaving the evening that they left in a rental car.

I got packed and to the airport and waited patiently. We were told there would be a delay. An hour passed, our flight should have left already. Another delay. Another hour passed. We were finally told that our flight was canceled due to mechanical problems. Great.

A mob of people stormed the airline desk. The poor guy behind the podium was inundated with people hollering and threatening. I just sat there patiently and waited until the mob dispersed to go up and see what they would be doing. After all, I really did not have to go, and I could call the group and tell them I would not be going with them.

I went up after the crowd dispersed and started up a chat with the guy. They gave us all flights the next day, and an optional hotel stay for the night. Since I was local, I said that I would just go home. He thanked me for my kindness and understanding. I got booked on the next flight out, at 6 am, and left to try to get a reasonable night's sleep since it was now well after 10 pm.

I arrived at the airport the next morning and waited patiently for the flight. I saw a number of people there that were in the mob the night before. None seemed to pleased, but what can I say. They began boarding the plane with the infirm, pregnant, those that need help, and first class passengers.

I didn't know where I was to sit, so I looked at my ticket. I was in seat 1c, first class. WTF!? The agent last night upgraded me to first class. How cool was that! I boarded the plane and sat in the most comfortable seat I have ever sat in. In this section, there were two seats per side, not three like in cattle class.

We took off, and they served snacks and drinks...to cattle class, that is. Us in first class...there was only me and one other guy who wasn't there the previous night...got a real breakfast of cereal, a banana, toast, milk and orange juice. With a real ceramic bowl and real glass glasses and real silverware. I'm never flying cattle class again!

The trip was enjoyable. I got to Charleston about 6 hours ahead of the group, and boy did I have a story to tell. They were quite jealous of my experience! In the end, we explored Charleston, stayed at a rather nasty Howard Johnson's, ate very well and had a good time. "A" visited with her boyfriend, and had a good time, too.

On the way back, I was in cattle class like the rest of the little people, but I have fond memories of when I was one of the upper class in first class. So, if there are problems with a flight, keep your cool and be nice...you never know what you might get.

2 comments:

Shari said...

Ah, the impossible dream of first class travel. I hate flying so much (because it's so uncomfortable) that I haven't been home for 16 years. I just can't bear being cooped up in a cramped space for 14 hours to make the trip...and it's rather expensive, too.

You lucky dog!

badmoodguy (Бадмўдгуи) said...

Shari: LOL! I was lucky, and the trip was very enjoyable. And I really meant that I would never fly cattle class again. The unfortunate part of that statement is that it is completely and totally unreasonable to fly first class. The first class ticket to Charleston was well over $1,100. Yeah, I checked. I have champagne dreams on a water budget. I can only imagine how much a first class...or even business class...ticket to and from Japan would be. Oh, to be filthy rich, rather than just filthy...