Monday, December 10, 2007

Pet Peeve: Single Blinks

An open letter to drivers everywhere:

I have a major pet peeve. I see it daily and it irritates the hell out of me. It shows total lack of courtesy and respect for fellow drivers and can be easily overlooked.

Giving a single, weak-ass turn signal blink to change lanes.

This ticks me off. Why even bother to signal a lane change? One pitiful blink is all you think I deserve before you pull directly in front of me? What if I did not see it and I was speeding along like a normal person?

Listen, I am not a perfect driver. I have gotten my share of tickets. I drive really fast. But there are two things that I always remember and always do: no tailgating, period, and always signal your intentions clearly.

When I change lanes, I always turn on my turn signal, look to see if the lane is clear, merge then turn the signal off. There must be about 20 blinks in there. Other drivers only give one? WTF!?

When I see people change lanes without signaling, I tend to write it off as they forgot or have something on their mind or are engrossed on a conversation with their travelling companion. If a person gives a proper signal, then I thank God for them being courteous and wish my best blessings onto them. But a person that only gives a single blink is the most discourteous of people. These are the kind of people that only do things in a half-assed way, they must have no inner life, and have an ego that is so huge it is overriding their very sensibilities. They feel that they are more important than anyone else, and that all the little people deserve is one weak blink.

When you change lanes, don't give me one measly little blink. Either be courteous and signal a proper lane change, or don't signal at all.

The punishment for single blinkers should be execution.

2 comments:

Shari said...

Heh, heh. Execution may be a little over the top. ;-)

Personally, I believe self-awareness and awareness of others classes should be taught in school as a usual course. I'm talking every single year like history or math.

badmoodguy (Бадмўдгуи) said...

I wholeheartedly agree! It seems people have no courtesy anymore. And not just in this country...you have shown us that Japan can suffer the same. Are we seeing the descent of humanity? Probably. If this is the way it will be, let it crash and burn! LOL! :) Perhaps I'm being to melodramatic...or maybe it's the depression...or the bad weather...