Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Snowy Weather

The weather people stated that we were doomed today. We were supposed to have gotten 5 or so inches of snow.

I woke up today at 3:30 am with some mild heartburn from the Diclofenac, an anti-inflamatory, I am taking for my jaw pain. I took some stomach pills, and upon doing this, I walked out to the living room and looked out the window and saw the weather.

There was a 1/4" of snow.

When the radio came on at 6:30 am, they were listing the 227 school closures for the day.

At 6:30 am, there was about 1/2" of snow.

I got ready for work and went out to the car and brushed it off, and left for work uneventfully. This was until I got to the end of my street. Just before the end of my street, there is another street that intersects it. On this street was an idiot in a 4x4 SUV intentionally gunning the engine and slip-sliding side-to-side down the small hill. This dingleberry hardly stopped at the end of the street, and then proceeded to do the same thing after I passed going to the traffic light. Thankfully, I turn right because this duckfart was turning left. I dared him to hit me because I would like to see how quickly his insurance company would come strong with a new BMW.

For the most part, the vast majority of people were driving with some care and common sense. I saw no accidents or wipe outs on the way to work, which is customary for any snowy days of 1/4" or more.

I can forgive people that don't know how to drive in bad weather. They will learn in short order at the first couple of snowfalls. I can also somewhat forgive people that feel invincible in their huge SUVs and drive like they normally would on a clean, clear day. But some idiot hooning his SUV with oversize tires all over a narrow city side street is inexcusable. This person should be executed for the good of mankind.

We've been getting freezing rain for the whole of today, and more snow tonight. I've been in the dungeon at work for most of the day and have yet to check out the road status. It has been said that it is getting more slick as time goes on...perhaps I will take surface streets home today...

This just in, right now, this second:
It must be getting really bad out because they are shutting down Lexis-Nexis* in Miamisburg and Springfield for the day. They rarely do this...oh, woe is us!

* Chris' wifey works at LexNex, so we get lots of juicy inside details. Though their grapevine is not nearly as good as the one here at RTA...

2 comments:

Shari said...

Most of the time, I'm glad there isn't much snow here (and that I don't need a car), but my sister has been getting paid days off of work a lot lately because of heavy snow in Western PA and I kind of env that. (She works in a public library.)

I really don't miss driving in the snow though. It could be quite harrowing at times when I had an hour-long commute to work!

badmoodguy (Бадмўдгуи) said...

We very rarely have "snow days" at work. If the drivers have to come in and then drive buses in the crap, we should be able to come in, too. At least that is what they say. LOL!

I like that I live only 15 minutes away from work. I don't know what I would do with an hour commute to work! Probably go crazy.

I used to be a traveling network engineer for a small company here locally. One of my assigned clients was in Sidney, about 50 miles north of where I live. I'd have to go twice a week up there, and in the winter is was quite an unpleasant trip.