Friday, January 11, 2008

The Latest Obsession

Sometimes I get completely absorbed by something. I get to the point where I get so obsessed that I cannot live without whatever the subject of my obsession is.

When I was young, I, of course, had video games. I had a Nintendo system and played the likes of Tetris (which I was very good at) and Super Mario Brothers. In fact, my dad and I would play marathon sessions of Mario, at one point we would play about 6 hours straight!

As time went on, many house moves and familial tragedies forced me to give up video games. I could play, if I desired, but I had so much other stuff on my mind that playing games was the last thing I would thing about. I feel like I missed a lot of what childhood is all about.

Years later, my mom and I helped my dad outfit his truck with a new TV, and to keep him occupied we got him a Sony PlayStation 2 so he could play games and watch DVDs. I played with it for a bit, and thought that it would be fun, so I got one a few weeks later. I got a few games, and played with it on occasion. I just didn't really get into the whole gaming scene, as there was little on the PS2 platform to interest me.

Last weekend I took all my old video games and consoles (including the PS2) to our favorite local resale shop and sold them. Since I didn't play with them anymore, there was no sense in keeping them.

The one system I did play with is a Nintendo GameBoy SP. This is a little handheld system that I got years back because it had several of the original NES Mario games on it, like Super Mario 3, which was my favorite of the Mario series on the NES.

As an after Christmas surprise, mom and dad got me a Nintendo DS. This is a nice unit, as the screen is much clearer than my little SP, and newer games are available. I have been playing with this quite alot. The more I played with the variety of games that I have for the handheld system, the more I began to think that I missed out on something great.

The two popular consoles when I bought the PS2 was, of course, the PS2 and the Nintendo GameCube. I had not considered the GameCube, because of the overwhelming advertising push that Sony did to make the PS2 stand out. This is where I made my mistake. I should have gone with the system that had my favorite game characters, something that I could relate to.

Last weekend I broke down and bought a GameCube at our favorite resale shop. I got as many of the pre-owned goodies with it as they had, which included a module that allows one to play games from their GameBoy systems, of which I have quite a few. I also bought a few games on the little GameCube CDs. I thought that a few Mario games would keep me entertained.

This is where the obsession comes in.

Two of the games I purchased for the GameCube are StarFox Adventures and StarFox Assault. I had never had the opportunity to play StarFox on the Super Nintendo, and I never owned a Nintendo 64...another piece of childhood that I'm missing.

Fig. 1: The StarFox team
(l-r) Slippy, Peppy, Falco and Fox


I have not stopped playing these StarFox games.
I don't even watch TV anymore.

I cannot believe how much of a stress reliever they can be. The game play is great, the graphics amazing. I've never been a real "shooting game" kind of person, but I have really enjoyed these games...especially StarFox Assault. When I am at work, I long to get back home to play some more.

One of these days, I will have to pick up a Wii. The GameCube games are compatible with the Wii, and should look just as good as on the GameCube. But as of now, I am having much too much fun with it. Perhaps if and when they come out with a StarFox game for the Wii I'll take the plunge!

I think I came by this addictive, obsessive-compulsive personality by genetics. My mother is the same way...don't ask about her "Beanie Babies". We don't speak of that. Ever.

5 comments:

Shari said...

My family had one of the early pong games, but didn't really get into consoles because computers came along and they seem to serve me adequately for distraction. However, I know that consoles are where the serious gaming action is. I just don't have the time for "serious gaming".

I agree 100% with the idea that gaming is a stress reducer and that a lot of folks have replaced their television viewing with game-playing. People view gaming a bit derisively but I think it's probably better than T.V.

badmoodguy (Бадмўдгуи) said...

I would definitely not say that I am a serious gamer. I'm in it for the escape and stress relief.

It conveniently comes at a good time as I am quite fed up with some of the dingleberries that I work with. LOL! Blowing up space ships can be surprisingly calming!

I do have to agree with you...playing video games is no where near as bad as watching TV. Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of TV, but there are select few programs that I go out of my way to watch or record. The rest is worthless drivel, IMHO. With the loads of crap we Americans like to call "entertainment", sometimes I wonder why I bother to pay good money for satellite TV... Perhaps I am not really an American, then? Dunno.

Shari said...

I think we have to keep in mind that a lot of entertainment has more to do with what is profitable than what is "good" or even highly popular. One of the reasons reality T.V. (despite its immense suckiness and degradation of the people involved) thrives is that it's monumentally cheap compared to scripted, professionally-produced, and acted shows. It's like the McDonald's of T.V. but it doesn't even need a big viewership to make it attractive because it makes money even with smaller ratings.

I watch T.V., too, but not that much, and I almost always watch it as background to doing other things (mainly housework and cooking, but sometimes to game playing!).

If you ever feel like playing an RPG, you might consider picking up Guild Wars or Diablo II and joining us Carls on-line. ;-) We're a hoot.

badmoodguy (Бадмўдгуи) said...

Oh, do NOT get me started on "reality" TV. What a waste of perfectly good bandwidth on the airwaves. And this we want to see in high-definition? Give me a break!

I, too, will occasionally leave the TV on for some background noise. However, it still must be something interesting. If there is nothing on, I'll either leave it off or leave it on Food Network, CNN Headline News or The Weather Channel. Sometimes the "utility" channels are better entertainment than the entertainment channels!

One day you'll have to explain the "Carls"! LOL! :)

Shari said...

The Carl is a very complex state of mind that cannot be easily explained. However, I am endeavoring to offer lessons in understanding Carl via its web site. If you'd like to become a student of the Carl, you can check it out here: http://the3carls.blogspot.com/