Saturday, January 12, 2008

Do Your Job!

My friend Chris at work takes a lot of abuse from me. Generally it is unintentional, and I try to shield him from "harm" as much as he does me. We run interference for each other a lot, and sometimes I wonder if my boss thinks that we tag team him to get things done our way.

On Friday, after our staff meeting and on the way back to the building we work in, I started getting madder and madder. One of our illustrious colleagues failed to do something and used an excuse that I had done something to the system to prevent it from working properly. This is, unfortunately, par for the course for this person. Chris has experienced this a number of times, and had called him on it time and time again. I have had issues once or twice myself. If there is something about his software that is not working, he instantly blames the Windows installation and tells Chris that he needs to reload the PC. This, to date, has never been the solution...it is usually a part of his software that needs configuration or installation. Thankfully, previously none of these issues have ever been so visible as the one from last week.

In our passenger waiting area we have some large LCD displays to note the arrival of buses to our downtown stops. Way back in the day, I did the setup of these things. I bought the four large monitors and had them installed, I setup the computer and the associated software. I even did the background graphics to give it some real class. This was at a time when there was no real person in the position that is supposed to handle this type of setup for the software system we use. You see, one of our colleagues jobs is to maintain this software system for our transit dispatch functions.

Even though it is not my job, over the years I have managed to soak up quite a bit of intimate knowledge about the software and hardware functions of our dispatch system, from the computers to the radios to the software...everything is very tightly integrated. The system has its flaws, and stability can be an issue at times. With the complicated nature of the entire system, it is a wonder that it runs as reliably as it does. Microsoft would do well to make Windows so reliable.

The issue last week was that another one of our colleagues who takes the bus to work regularly reported to "A" that the monitors were not working. Without even taking the time to look at it, he blamed me instantly, saying that it was because of a piece of software that I had loaded. He said that I would have to be the one to fix it since it was my problem.

Now, this software that I loaded is a small program designed to scroll messages "stock ticker" style across a narrow band at the bottom of the screen. It is tiny and non-invasive. Not to mention that this software had been run on this same system off and on for years with no ill effects.

The person that reported the problem "D", then sent an email to me and our boss telling of the conversation she has with "A". I got the email and sent a rather poignant email back to my boss explaining to him everything that went on and how this is typical of "A".

The software that displays the arrivals frequently stops responding...generally about once a week. All that is required is to exit the program, bring it back up and load the configuration file. It takes about a minute. How hard would it be to do this? We have complete remote access to every single computer on our network, so "A" would not even had to move.

In the staff meeting, our boss asked "A" about the monitors and he responded that it should be my responsibility to fix it since I had loaded the software. I, quite vocally, disagreed. He stated that it was my problem since I loaded the software and didn't tell him that there was new software on the box. (To which I will agree I should have done.)

We went back and forth a number of times in this manner, and he said that he never received the email from "D" about the problem and didn't know about it. Then "D" interjected that she actually walked up to him and told him about the problem as soon as she discovered it, and he instantly responded that I would have to work on it...not him!

I started coming unglued.

My boss stated that it was indeed the responsibility of "A" to make sure the display software operates properly...to which he was visibly annoyed.

The conversation then turned to an issue regarding a clock in the dispatch center that was off the correct time. This is an issue that I had heard nothing about. The clock in question connects to a computer in the dispatch center via a serial port, and there is a tiny piece of software on the box that sends the time. Our boss interrogated us as to why this was not fixed in a timely manner. I couldn't say anything because I didn't even know about it.

I found it amazing that "A" did not know about the clock. It is integrated with our dispatching software, and I had to explain to him all about the clock and what computer it is connected to. He stated that none of the computers have any connections to any clocks. The only connections to any computers are the radio consoles. To this, I had to explain to him that, No, the consoles are not connected to the computers in any fashion! He then stated that the dispatch software did not have a module for the clocks. To this, I had to explain that the software is indeed included and that the dispatch software vendor had sold us and installed the clocks to begin with! I called him out in the meeting about it. "What, you don't know how the software you are supposed to maintain works?"

In the end, it was discovered that the computer that the clock was connected to had been moved, against MIS policy by a person in the dispatch center. We were not told about this. The computer that was put back into place did not have the software, so all it would need is the software installed.

I am getting really fed up having to be the expert in all things in our department. I end up having to perform some of the most mundane tasks that anyone in the department should be able to handle. Now, doing this is part of all of our jobs, but some others frequently turn over these tasks to Chris or myself without even trying to solve the problem or answer the question because they are oh, so busy with their own work.

"A" as become the biggest problem in the department in this regard. Rather than learn more about the system that he is supposed to maintain, or help with the general helpdesk calls (in which he IS the backup for the helpdesk position), he spends time talking to friends on his cell phone or chatting with them online.

On the way back from the meeting, I was really hot. Chris was pleased to see that "A" is finally getting called on the carpet for his misdoings, which have been long in coming. I hollered to Chris about "A" all the way back to the building, in the garage and into our office. I shouldn't holler at him, but I was not happy, and he understood and agreed with me.

I am getting really tired of doing everyone else's jobs. Why can't they do their own? I don't get paid enough for my own job, and I certainly don't get any extra for doing theirs. We all slack off some, it is to be expected and our boss can be very relaxed about it, and I certainly do my share of non-work. However, some of my colleagues take too much liberty with this and need to start taking responsibility for their own projects and helping with our multitude of shared responsibilities. Chris and I cannot possibly do everything.

2 comments:

Shari said...

It may surprise you to know that this is a huge problem in Japan, perhaps an even bigger one than in the U.S. because coworkers and bosses don't like to confront slackers and it's hard to fire people.

I can't tell you how many students have complained to me that their coworkers do a job badly so they get the work fobbed off on them. Incompetence is virtually a guarantee that some unlucky stiff who is clever and hard-working will get even more work piled on him or her.

One of my husband's students actually had to start making tea and coffee for guests because her coworker kept doing it wrong by using old teabags and over-filling cups. It was so patently clear the coworker did it wrong on purpose to get out of the job. You can train a monkey to use a new teabag and/or filling the cup to a certain level!

badmoodguy (Бадмўдгуи) said...

I am quite surprised to find this to be a big problem in Japan. The Japanese have seemed to have the singular distinction to be all hard-working, hard-line, obsessive workers. It is actually refreshing in a strange sort of way to find that they can be just as lazy as the rest of us!

If some of these people would put more energy into doing their jobs correctly rather than being clever (in which you are very, very correct) they could be successful in their jobs, rather than just skating by. They would probably expend less energy ... just like lying, telling the truth is much easier.

When the aforementioned "D" was a new employee, she would often shirk helping with helpdesk calls and compartmentalizing into her position. Chris and I quickly took care of that situation, and now IMHO she is a very integral part of the department and helps keep the others inline. To be sure, she had just started in the job so it was only natural and not her typical method of operation.

I am serious when I say that I don't want my blog to be a bitch session about everything, but this was much too annoying a situation that I had to tell someone. Chris already knew, so the world would have to do! LOL!

And how can someone screw up a cup of tea? It is easier than getting a glass of water! Sheesh!