Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Getting Back to Normal

On Monday, I had to work. It was kind of lame, there wasn't a lot of people around and I did manage to get some needed work done.

Chris, RDW and I went to a local mexican restaurant, Elsa's, to have their buffet. They make the greatest enchiladas, a whole mess of them, for their buffet. They are cheesy and moist and go down real easy. Especially with a nice smattering of sour cream and a splash of Cholula hot sauce. I really wanted to have their complimentary chips and salsa, but chips are still too hard for me to handle. It is too bad, really, because I used to destroy some chips there.

Anyhow, I digress. On the way, since it is a pretty long drive (and well worth it) there was a bunch of old computers and stuff in my trunk. Every bump and corner, no matter how easily I took it, the crap would shift and make a bunch of racket. It grated on my nerves! I would cringe at every move, but wouldn't say anything.

When we pulled into the parking lot, the junk shifted again. I couldn't stand it any more and I said, out loud, "That racket is starting to piss me off!" I got out, and as Chris and RDW got out, Chris looked at me an said something to the effect of "I was wondering when you were going to say something about that!" RDW started laughing, Chris started laughing and so did I. They both said that I am seemingly getting back to the normal, old Mike.

That made me feel good. I think they were pleased. I really haven't felt like myself since I was sick. From the above exchange, it is evident that my friends have noticed. I know Chris and his family were concerned for me for the longest time, and RDW seems to still be worried about me.

As I return to being some of my old self, it seems my friends are becoming more at ease with my situation and becoming less worried about me. I don't really like that everyone was so concerned about me. Sure it is nice, but I don't want people to feel bad around me or be overly concerned. I prefer to be worried about others and have others unconcerned about me. As I slowly return to normal, I am starting to feel better about myself and feel better that people are becoming less worried about me.

I am all too happy, now, to go back to being my old self. But I sincerely don't want to be the severe, old curmudgeon that I was, and I don't think I will. I have been changed, I think, for the better. At least I am going to try really hard to keep the best of what I have become.

I have noticed that I am going back to making the snarky little editorial comments to my friends and coworkers. My boss seems to enjoy the commentaries that Chris and I make about life at the RTA. I think he likes it because he has to tow the party line all the time and it just reinforces that which he is thinking. Every job has its issues that people don't like or can't help but comment to their peers about, so it is not like we are isolated. I find it comforting to remember this fact, and remind myself that while the pay might not be the greatest, but the benefits are outstanding and I am proof of that.

With life, there are always little things that bother people. I think keeping stuff bottled up is not really helpful for a person, but being aggravated about everything isn't healthy either. I think I have found a good balance.

No comments: