Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Birthday

My birthday fell on Thanksgiving Day this year. Pretty cool, that. It is always nicer to have a big to do, like a huge dinner, than just cake or pie. I don't like having a big deal made of my birthday, and generally refuse presents...especially of my parents since they tend to give me lots of stuff throughout the year. Like food and clothes and such.

I don't ask for anything, either. This is the status quo. Mother will take me shopping and try to coerce me into getting a new shirt or pants or lazy shirts or drawers and such. Again, I usually refuse and most of the time she just goes ahead and buys whatever she thinks I would look good in. Her choices are perfect for me, I must say. If someone asked if my mommy picks out my wardrobe, I'd have to say yes.

She grouses at me for not wearing jeans and sweatshirts and such. Instead I usually wear some kind of patterned button-down shirt and khaki-style pants. This is what I wear to work. She always says that I'm too dressed up. I say I'm comfortable, end of story.

I did get clothes for my birthday...at least a few days in advance. Since the cancer, I have lost about 70 pounds, and none of my old clothes fit very effectively. With the exception of sweaters, sweatshirts, socks and drawers, I have had to get all new clothes. I tried wearing my old pants to work, but the belt had to be cinched so much, the waist was all bunched up. And it looked really, really stupid. Thankfully, it is getting cold for wintertime which means that my oversize sweaters (I prefer them really big) can cover a multitude of sins. But I now have a few pair of properly fitting pants and shirts, so I will not have to wear any of my old clothes unless I am desperate, or I start eating like I used to.

Really, the "official" birthday gifts were...
Mother's gift was tickets for me and Dad to go see the Columbus Blue Jackets play the Detroit Red Wings in Columbus. (Jackets won!) I like to go see them play at least once a season, it is always a good time. Mom and Dad go up for the New Years Eve game, and stay overnight at a nice hotel.

Father's gift was a new PDA/cell phone. My old cell phone, that I bought off eBay since my contract wasn't up for renewal, went flaky. I wasn't about to pay full price for a new phone, especially since I needed a fancy-schmancy PDA/Phone combo. Dad's contract was up for renewal, so he suggested we get a new phone off his renewal. He's perfectly happy with his old Motorola phone, since it is without all of Verizon's VCast garbage. So he funded the purchase of a new PDA phone for my birthday, and we scammed Verizon and switched the phones around when they were not looking! So Dad has his same phone, and the new PDA phone is on my account. I feel so evil. Well, the truth is, Verizon doesn't care. As long as you pay them plenty of jing every month, they don't care what you do.

So, I have had a happy birthday. Being able to spend time with my parents, and the big Thanksgiving meal, was the best gift. I'm glad, too, that I was here to enjoy them.

2 comments:

Shari said...

I think you're the first person I've ever heard talk in a positive fashion about having a birthday in close proximity to a holiday. Most people would prefer to have a completely separate celebration so they could feel more like it was their special day with attention concentrated entirely on them. Your perspective is refreshing.

Happy (belated) birthday!

badmoodguy (Бадмўдгуи) said...

Shari: Thanks for the birthday wishes!

I have always enjoyed having my b'day close to Thanksgiving because everyone in my family used to get together around this time to celebrate. Mamaw would cook up a storm, and I would consume her creations with gusto! Just having the great meal and being with my mamaw was the best gift that I could have. I realize that even more now, since mamaw is gone and there are very few of the family left.