Saturday, October 25, 2008

Nuthatch

There's a little nuthatch that keeps visiting the pine tree in my front yard for some of the many bird and squirrel goodies mother sets out for them. I managed to shoot a few pictures when it would stay still long enough, so here they are for your enjoyment.

Fig. 1: Closeup at 300mm, f5.6 @ 1/125.

Fig. 2: Closeup at 300mm, f5.6 @ 1/320.

Fig. 3: Closeup at 300mm, f5.6 @ 1/125.

I was able to get rather close to this beautiful little creature, but what you see is actually an illusion. It helps to have a decent high-megapixel camera and a long lens. The pictures, above, were taken with a Sony alpha 200, 10.2 megapixels in JPEG mode, with a Minolta Maxxum autofocus 75-300mm lens at 300mm. I then cropped them from there and did some color and contrast adjustments using Google's Picasa 3 software.

3 comments:

Orchid64 said...

I thought a nuthatch was where crazy people lived. I'm impressed that you can tell birds apart by sight.

Very nice pictures, btw. :-)

badmoodguy (Бадмўдгуи) said...

I believe that both definitions are valid, though I don't think the bird-variety nuthatch is too happy about being thought of like that!

We have the standard fare of birds around here, the most populous being the generic, ever present Sparrow. What we enjoy are the "unusual" birds, such as this nuthatch, as well as a variety of house finches, goldfinches, blue jays, a few tiny chickadees and a woodpecker.

The woodpecker is especially fun because when it is around we can hear it pounding away at the pine tree. If you look closely at the tree, you can see tons of little holes all neatly in a row where the woodpecker has been.

The chickadees are great because they have a extremely loud, high-pitched call for such a tiny bird. Perhaps it is the acoustics where we live, but we can always tell when they are about!

Oh, and of course we have guidebooks to tell us what birds are. Mother and I are not professionals, mind you. :)

Than you for the compliment on the pictures. Mother says that she is going to send my pictures off to Audubon or a bird watcher magazine or the like because they are "so good!" Meh, I say. It's just a picture I took for my own enjoyment. I let her do whatever, nothing will come of it. LOL!

Kuma-chan said...

Oooh, pretty birds!!

Definitely worthy of a magazine cover.

ps. It's Piper from EotS.