Monday, June 16, 2008

I Hate BlackBerries

Yes, I hate BlackBerries. No, not blackberries as in the fruit...though they are not my favorite fruit and I could take them or leave them...it is the handheld cellular telephonic device by the same name (with the exception of the capital "B"s) that is the focus of my ire.

Our CEO was having trouble with is cellphone, a Samsung Windows-based smartphone. Rather than have us get him a replacement, since we can get them cheap, he desired a Crack...er, Black...Berry.

In order to facilitate this vilest of handheld devices, my boss suggested that I get one as well. Joy. In all fairness, my contract with Verizon Wireless is up and I had thought about getting a CrackBerry to play with when I reup just to see what they are all about. My getting one through work was just a happy coincidence...happy in that I now don't have to waste my money.

I'm not exactly sure about what my issue is with these evil devices. Perhaps it is that I am so used to having a Windows-based smartphone, which I have had several over the years, that I cannot possibly use anything else. Perhaps it is that all these yuppie-scum bluetooth-headset wearing douchebags (you know the kind...so self-important that they wear them like jewelry) that tend to have them. I don't know.

In order to get a BlackBerry or two, we had to buy two devices WITH completely new, separate contracts outside of our regular corporate contract. They are, obviously, more expensive now because we have voice AND data on them. The data portion of the service is an extra $30 per month! Add to that the $99 license fee to get it connected to our Exchange mail server...

Just for giggles, I decided to try setting up my current personal smartphone, a Samsung i760, to get email and calendar from our mail server. I already get email for my personal accounts from my linux mail server at home, but never tried to connect to my work server. While I use my personal phone for both myself and work purposes...rather than carry two phones and a pager...I never thought about syncing it to my work email.

I set about getting it configured, and after a short while and some minor configuration tweaks on the exchange server, I was getting my work email, calendar and contacts on my phone and keeping them in perfect sync. After setting mine up, I sent a little bit of info to my boss (who, likewise, has a Windows-based smartphone) and he got server synchronization to work instantly on his phone.

This would not normally seem like a big deal, however I was impressed with the Microsoft solution because it kept everything work-related separate from my personal emails!

With the BlackBerry, after setting it up to sync with my work email account through the BlackBerry Enterprise Server, I also set it up to get my personal emails from a few accounts that I have on my servers at home. This was one of my biggest issues with it...it lumped everything together in one big email jumble! How annoying is that? There were, as I discovered, a few ways to distinguish the various accounts like color coding and separate windows. However, to get the corporate email, you have to take everything together...color-coded emails, voicemails, all of it.

What is even more annoying is that in order to support this device, you have to run the BlackBerry Enterprise server software on top of the Exchange server. As if Microsoft software wasn't bloated enough on its own, now you have to have RIM's Java-based monstrosity running as well. Thankfully, the "professional" version of the software that supports up to 30 users can reside on the same server as Exchange with little impact in overhead. The full-blown BlackBerry Enterprise server requires its own server...as if we had a couple of kilodollars to throw down for a server to support a handful of CrackBerry addicts...

This would not normally be a big issue, but I have been aggravated by this software for the past day. One seemingly simple issue...synchronizing calendar items...has turned into a nightmare of epic proportions. First, it is the CEO's CrackBerry that is affected so it immediately becomes a hot-button issue with my boss. Second, I have a million (quite literally) things that I should be doing rather than messing with this stupid thing. Third, I would really rather not mess with an already fragile Exchange server that is (was) working perfectly up to this point.

I swear if this CrackBerry software damages my Exchange server I will go up to the CEO's office with a hammer and destroy that phone. Kudos to Microsoft, for a change, for making smartphones and server software that function exactly the way you'd expect. My smartphone is, essentially, a BlackBerry that doesn't suck.

I think I need to up my meds.

3 comments:

Shari said...

Hurrah! You're back, too! I'm really pleased to read your thoughts again. :-)

There are no Blackberries in Japan, though I'm guessing the heinous and detestable cell phones which people are always staring at like zombies and pecking at like hungry chickens would be analogous atrocities!

badmoodguy (Бадмўдгуи) said...

A happy coincidence! I was in the midst of writing this blog and I happened upon the email you sent me about your new blog. I am glad that you are back to blogging, too.

I am surprised that BlackBerries are not in Japan. I would have figured that it would be prime territory for them since it seems the Japanese are all mobile addicted.

I, personally, don't see the fascination of being connected all the time by cell phone. Oh, how aggravated I get when my phone rings...regardless of who it is. Well, some calls I don't mind like mum-n-dad and a few select friends, but otherwise I generally hit the ever convenient "ignore" and shunt them off to voicemail jail! LOL!

I'd just as soon give up my mobile but I have a once-in-a-lifetime phone number that totally rocks and I'd kick myself for giving it up. I got it assigned to me by Verizon back when corporate account reps could fiddle with their system and actually search for phone numbers that were not in use. Now numbers are automagically assigned. :(

I've looked around at a variety of sites that outline the cost of cell service in other countries, and it seems that Japan has rather expensive service. Voice calls not withstanding, I have to wonder how many can afford being connected all the time if the messaging rates are so high. Here in the states, our rates pretty much suck and the contracts you have to go into are awful but most plans include a great deal of texting allowances. I have to wonder how services there truly compare to ours here.

And to add insult to injury I hear that SoftBank is getting the 3G iPhone... :P

Shari said...

I continue to avoid a cell phone of any kind. There are tons of different contracts though and it's incredibly complicated. Most people only use them to speak on while recklessly riding bikes. Otherwise, they're fixated on messaging with the keypad while walking. Either way, they're in danger of colliding with pedestrians.

I'm sure the fanbois (aka "consumerist whores" will be wetting their pants over the iPhone. To be fair, in Japan, they might have to offer more competitive contracts than AT&T in the U.S. to crack the market so it may not be as stupid a buy here.