Saturday, March 8, 2008

Snowstorm 2008

It's snowing.
Fig. 1: My house.

It has been snowing since about 12 noon on Friday, 7 March. The weather people were calling for about 10 inches of snow to fall.

Fig. 2: From my porch, looking north (church across the street)

Fig. 3: Looking east up my street.

The snow has been coming down so quickly that the city has not been able to keep up with the plowing. My street is a major thoroughfare and usually gets priority attention, since there is a fire station to the east. The car in the picture was going about 10 mph, which is wise.

Fig. 4: Looking west, from my porch.

Fig. 5: The backyard.

For comparison sake, the bottom edge of the satellite dish you see in figure 5 is exactly 6' off the ground.

Fig. 6: Snowdrift directly in front of my porch.

There are steps in figure 6. Somewhere.

Fig. 7: Another view of the drift.

Fig. 8: Another drift actually on the porch!

Fig. 9: The drift in front of the porch being measured.

The drift in front of my porch is 16.5" deep.

Fig. 10: Me, standing nearly calf-deep in snow on my driveway.

And it is still snowing! To add insult to injury, the wind is blowing quite mightily, thus causing all the drifts. But, as you can see from mine and other cars, the snow is quite powdery and is not really sticking that well, so cleanup should be pretty easy.

Father has already been out with his snowblower and cleaned off their drive and walkway. He said he would do mine after it stopped snowing. He and mother are on their way to clean off my great aunt's driveway right now.

As for me, I'm hibernating and watching TV!

Update
It finally stopped snowing today, Saturday, 8 March, at 4:30 pm.

2 comments:

Shari said...

Those are great pictures. They really remind me of home. I used to love snow when I was in Pennsylvania...though, obviously, not driving in it.

I love your house. The size looks manageable, but not too tiny. I'd move into your neighborhood if I thought I could get a job! ;-)

badmoodguy (Бадмўдгуи) said...

Well, thank you!

It is a nice neighborhood, though a bit run down. The great thing about this area (and a lot of the midwest, really) is that houses are generally affordable.

If you should ever move back, right now with the sub-prime mortgage crisis it really is a buyers market. Tons of foreclosed houses are available. This is, though, a shame.